Map


View Sally and Dylan in a larger map

Thursday 21 March 2013

From Pollywog to Shellback

Some of you will know what I'm talking about straight away from the title and others may think that I lost my mind during that 13 day passage.

Sailors who have already crossed the Equator are nicknamed (Trusty/Honorable) Shellbacks, often referred to as Sons of Neptune; those who have not are nicknamed (Slimy) Pollywogs.
Each Pollywog is expected to endure a standard initiation rite in order to become a Shellback
During the ceremony, the Pollywogs undergo a number of increasingly embarrassing ordeals (wearing clothing inside out and backwards; crawling on hands and knees on nonskid-coated decks; being swatted with short lengths of firehose; being locked in stocks and pillories and pelted with mushy fruit; being locked in a water coffin of salt-water and bright green sea dye (fluorescent sodium salt); crawling through chutes or large tubs of rotting garbage; kissing the Royal Baby's belly coated with axle grease, hair chopping, etc.), largely for the entertainment of the Shellbacks. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony



Dylan as a young boy crossed the equator with his parents so it was a given that he would preside as King Neptune during the proceedings and I would be at his mercy. O dear.

I'm reading down below and there is a suspicious amount of clunking, shuffling and chopping with the odd stifled giggle in the galley. I'm a very nosey person and it took great self control to not go and peak or make sure that he was cleaning up after himself. At midday (he decided to do the ceremony then as that would be when the sailors of yore did it once they had taken a noon sight), I was summoned to the cabin top where a very odd looking platter greeted me.



Reading from a notebook Dylan then continued with a poem he had knocked up but a few hours before:

“Something from the sea” - He encouraged me to eat some octopus that we had in tins as we had failed to catch a fish.

“A taste of the earth” - Now this was repulsive. He had created a concoction that was raw dough with uncooked rice and tabasco sauce inside. It was vile and I didn't swallow it, choosing to spit it in a very unladylike manner over the side. It quelled my appetite for a good 24 hours. Note to any dieters out there, this would work a treat. Just pop some raw dough in your mouth and attempt to chew.

“A thimble of brine” - Yep he got me to glug some sea water.

“But a full cup of mirth” - A shot of rum, now that I could do!

“Once a pollywog never to be, a shellback is what I christen thee” - then pompously poured a bucket of sea water over my head.

Et voila, I now join the shellbacks of the sailing world. 

(Dylan adds that the poem is copyrighted and all credits go to him)

No comments:

Post a Comment