Map


View Sally and Dylan in a larger map

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Adding a spinnaker pole to Orion (Tartan 37)

I have owned a grand total of 1 boat in my relatively short lifetime - Orion. She has been an incredible learning experience from day one (when the water pump started making a funny noise - resulting in me stripping it to bare bones, only to find out that the water tank had run dry…Doh!).

Rigging work was a bit new to me.
I called in the big guns. A local Kiwi rigger and a friend from Toodles (also a Kiwi - but he could not help that). I spent many hours sourcing parts. Both driving around with a long "to get" list and internetting! Thank goodness for the internet.

With the kit all arranged, we set to work putting on a spinnaker track and pole (sourced in Portobello - second hand). I learnt valuable lessons about tapping masts and thread sizes among other things. I give great thanks to Gary (Toodles) and Jim Laing for their help and advice.

Making swiss cheese of our mast








Gary on Toodles helping me out










No comments:

Post a Comment