Map


View Sally and Dylan in a larger map

Friday 10 February 2012

Peaceful sleep...

Not the bug spray, but ode to anchoring.

Prickly Bay is a pretty crowded anchorage. There is a fair sized swell from the South attacking the bay making it very rolly. Especially for our little shallow drafted Tartan.
The wind has been pretty stiff too these last few days resulting in good gusts of up to 25+ knots across the bay. (estimated as we don't have wind instruments)

After 3 nights of restless sleep, we decided to move (yet again - 4th time). This time closer in shore (towards the windward shore, not the leeward) in order to tuck in behind the reef for greater protection from the swell.

In doing so, we also came into the lee slightly and hence the wind lessened.

One of our concerns when we were moored in the middle of the bay, it is a deep bowl, with 15 or so metres under the keel. Being a little out of shape, getting my blubbery little, seal-like body down to that depth proved rather tricky. Sally's suggestion of tying some chain to my feet and plopping me over the side was met with scepticism.

Hauling myself down on the chain, I could see that most of the chain was hanging free in a large curve from surface to bottom. Most of it was not actually on the bottom so was not doing its job of increased resistance against dragging. Sure, I could have shackled the rope to the end and dropped all the chain overboard, but I could not go back any further for fear of hitting another yacht parked behind us.

Decisions, decisions!

Uncomfortable with the anchor, our position and uncertainty, we decided to move.
We first scouted out a good position nestled between some other yachts with our dinghy and then went in with the boat.
We took our time anchoring. Put her hard astern and pulled the chain tight.
Just as an extra precaution, I dived on the anchor. The water is still murky so could not see the anchor from the surface. I pulled myself along 140ft of chain to get to the anchor. However, once found, I had to pop to the surface. Diving down again it was difficult to find and a lot of energy (aka breath) expended trying to search for it.

So! Plan B - Tying a buoy to a length of rope, I made a loop around the chain and then chased the loop all the way to the anchor. This allowed me to pop up, catch my breath and then chase the line straight down to the anchor where i then bedded it.
This is not the process of tucking it in and reading it a bed time story, but rather working it into the sand to  ensure that it does not drag.

Where you going...NOWHERE!

Interestingly, although i had put her hard astern to try set the anchor, the anchor was on her side and I had to set her upright properly by hand. This goes to show that the only sure way to know that your anchor is properly set is to dive on it!

That night was a lovely peaceful sleep for the first time since we plopped in the water. Safe in the knowledge that my anchor is set well and there is sufficient chain on the floor. But I did still get up a number of times (and no, not due to bladder problems!) this is par for the course to check on things. Sweet dreams...


No comments:

Post a Comment