Map


View Sally and Dylan in a larger map

Saturday 18 February 2012

My new instrument...


What a lovely valentines day for me. I had my instruments installed and boy am I chuffed with them.
Having used Garmin before, I knew full well what they looked like and how they worked, however, I had not played around with one to see the full extent of its functionality.

All our instruments were in pretty dire condition. The depth sounder display was no longer readable , the cups on the mast head wind instruments had long since become brittle in the tropic sun and one of the cups had vanished meaning no wind speed. Wind direction still worked fine, however the display was starting to look a bit tired like the depth and speed display.

Rather than replace each one individually, I bit the bullet and replaced them all. We got a Tri-ducer (depth, speed and temp) – why have 2 holes in the hull when one will do...and the mast head wind direction and speed. As finances were a bit of an issue considering our recent acquisition (of the boat) we only got one display.

The main reason I went for this system was that it is a NMEA 2000 system. The latest marine protocol and therefore probably stay more current than a NMEA 0183 system that is being phased out. Being a bit of a computer guy, I could see all the benefits of the standardised links, protocols etc. It reminded me of the old token ring / coaxial networks we used to have in school, with T pieces that plugged in the network cards (before the days of ethernet and TCP/IP).

The nice thing about it was that the Airmar Triducer (Garmin range) was that it fitted exactly into the existing Airmar through hull. It even came with an instruction guide on how to retro fit it in the old style of through hull (AKA, the “one that does not have the quasi non return value that still leaks water but is better than nothing”). We fitted this in the yard to avoid messing around with getting a new triducer into a little hole while an ocean tries to make its acquaintance with the inside of your boat.

So, our first issue was replacing the wind instruments on the mast. We hired a guy to come and do the electronics as I am not very familiar with marine electronics and I wanted this done properly.
We sent him up the mast to remove the old instruments, set up the new one and chase the new cable down the mast by pulling it through on the old cable.
Old off, new on, cable in mast being pulled through and...
The splice came apart and I pulled all the old cable through minus the new one. SHIT!
Each minute this guy spends on the boat is costing me a hell of a lot of money!
Plan B – send a mouse down (not a real one...too hard to train).
Dangling a lead sinker and line from the mast head, I am trying to hook it with a coat hanger (ALWAYS have a wire coat hanger on a boat...Always!).
I hook it, and we pull it all through.

The lovely thing about the way Garmin has done this (other might have this too, but I will speak of their instruments), is that the wind instrument connects to the cable by way of a connector. If the wind instrument needs to be replaced one day, I can just disconnect the mast cable and put it on a new instrument. No need to replace the cable (or have a nasty splice at the top of the mast).

Not Orion's actual network (or devices)
Using the old power cable, we connect up the power straight into the network. No connecting power to each unit anymore! You connect one 12v power cable to the backbone of the network and all the instruments feed off it. The backbone in Orion consists of 3 T pieces connected together.

At the one end is the wind instruments cable connector where the female termination piece would usually go (this is the only one not connected as a T). The first T has the Triducer (with the end connected to the wind instruments cable and the other end connected to the next T piece).
The next T is the power and connected to that is the display T with a male terminator at the end to tell the system that those are all the devices in the network.

The absolute beauty of the system is that if I wanted to add GPS, another display, engine gauges etc etc to the system, it is as easy as removing the male terminator at the end and adding another T piece (no power cables, nothing!)

What was even better, and testimony to the electrician who was doing the work was that it all worked beautifully when we flicked the switch. Sure it cost me 6 hours of labour, but it is a good job, will last me a while and I know I can personally add further devices if I wish at a later date without having to hire a “sparky” to run power cables etc. 

So now you must be thinking...”only one display, how will you ever see all your data from only one measly display?”

“Simples!”, says I. Garmin systems use a series of pages that you can scroll through. We set our to have Apparent Wind (direction and strength), Depth and Speed pages.
“But sometimes you need to see all the data!” you cry.
So I set a custom page which consists of 4 mini screens. On it we have Depth, Speed, Wind Direction and Wind Speed (apparent).
It was so incredibly simple to set up and configure, it is like using many of the other Garmin products (car SatNav etc).

This is the first major purchase we have made for the boat (read upgrade) and boy are we happy with it. Time will tell if it lasts us, does not break and customer support etc, but for now I am one satisfied customer!

Garmin, I love you!

PS: There is loads of other data that we have on the system too. Barometer, Sea Temp, Air Temp, etc all additional useful stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment