Map


View Sally and Dylan in a larger map

Thursday 3 October 2013

Spares

How many are too many, how much is too much?

We have met a number of cruisers with different perspectives when it comes to the acquisition of spares. Recently I met a young couple who had the barest minimum of spares aboard. They had done a bit of research and estimated that their non exhaustive spares list would set them back roughly $10,000 USD. They were heading towards Australia and planned to sell the boat there. As such they had a finite timespan and like most of us, a finite budget. 

They decided that they would take a few essential spares (approx. $2,000) and leave the rest to chance. The justification being that should they need a part / spare in the middle of the South Pacific, they can have it flown in. Sure it will cost them dearly for logistics and duties, but if all goes well, it will not set them back $8,000. 

As it happened they had to have a new part shipped in to French Polynesia and this took 2 weeks and cost significantly more than the listed price in a West Marine catalogue, however they do not regret their decision. 

I have met others who wish that they could tow an identical vessel behind their primary so that they have enough spares. The question one needs to ask oneself is where do you draw the line?

Admittedly, supply chain and logistics have improved so much over the last few years, that getting parts flown half way around the world is no longer as large a deal as it used to be. Occasionally a parcel may become held up in some weird customs office for a duration. But most cruisers that have had goods flown in have received them within 30 days of ordering. 

I still love having all my tools and spares on board Orion as it is sone less thing that I need to worry about. But I will never have all the spares that I need. I ask myself if we have over invested on the spares front. Or if we have the right spares. Finding out mid pacific that none of your supposed spare fan belts actually fit the flywheels is a little irritating. 

If I were doing this over, I might be inclined to perform further research on "what is most likely to break on passage and is quite important" and ensure that I have suitable spares / fixes or knowledge of an alternative solution. Assuming of course that I could afford said spares. At the end of the day there is no point having all the belts and braces (pun intended) and not enough money to leave the dock to find out if you needed them in the first place. 

Water - maker parts, head repair kits, refrigeration, generator spares etc are what I like to call gold plated problems where one can live without them for a month while you wait for a part to be flown in. Engine impellers, fuel filters, belts, engine oil, rigging spares etc, tend to be higher up on my list of "must haves".

Each has their own philosophy. Your boat, your budget, your decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment