Map


View Sally and Dylan in a larger map

Monday 12 November 2012

Sprucing up Orion

I'm a typical girly girl when it comes to making my surroundings look homely. Dylan would quite happily live in an Ikea showroom devoid of any personal touches where as I like to make my mark on a place. I felt with Orion like she didn't look like ours yet when I left for the UK. Sure she had our stuff in the lockers and our books on the shelves but there were no personal touches, no photos, no mementos on the wall. Along with flag making, I made it my mission to bring back items to give Orion a makeover turning her from 'our boat' to 'our home'. 

Truprint. Free and easy. I uploaded a load of photos that I liked of mine to their website and they printed them all out and posted them to me for free within a week. All I needed to do was provide them with my email address (yes I get a lot of junk mail off them now) and pay the postage and packaging which was £1.50. Total bargain and I stuck a few photos around the boat of our friends and family back home.



We had a brass clock but no barometer onboard so with some of our engagement present money, I bought a barometer to match the clock on the wall. Now I can fully complete my log book entries!




When underway and cooking, we kept our herbs and spices in a sliding door cupboard above the hob. Not cool when reaching for some spices on a starboard tack and they all leap out at you or land in said dish! I looked around the chandleries for spice racks to mount on the wall but they were either ugly or too expensive. I floated the idea with Dad of him making us one and he jumped at the challenge. The finished result was way beyond my expectations, thanks Father Bear!


To make the outside of Orion more colourful and attract like minded yachties to our boat with a similar background, I purchased from eBay a South African and a Welsh flag. We now fly these below our Rhyl Yacht Club burgee all the time. Bought for only £2 each, I doubt they will last very long.




Dylan now liking the homely touch has already given in since my arrival back aboard and purchased a tin lizard to attach to a blank wall in our head. Only time will tell how many other trinkets I can sneak on board!

No comments:

Post a Comment